Thursday, November 20, 2008

Appointment the Other Day

I've been slacking a bit on the latest from my last appointment on Tuesday. All seemed pretty uneventful, and I had to wait for what seemed like forever before I could see the midwife after I did the customary pee in a cup, weight and blood pressure check.

Soon after my midwife came into the room, she immediately wanted to check my blood pressure again. I guess the first reading was pretty high and she was concerned. She took it again and it had gone down a little bit which was better. But I was a little alarmed. She asked if I had been having headaches, and as a matter of fact, all last weekend I was suffering from terrible ones but I chalked it up to sinus headaches. She said that she is going to want me to come in a little more often to check my blood pressure to see if this will be a real concern. So I get to go back again next week to do my glucose test (oh joy!), get my quad screen, and of course check the blood pressure. She said if it still shows as being high, then I might have to be treated with medication. Great.

But I then got a quick ultrasound and saw the sweet baby again. It has grown so much bigger and the heart was beating away. That relieved me a bit. Everything else was ok, no weight gain still, seem to be eating healthy (sort-of).

I'm trying not to worry about the blood pressure thing too much. I'm only 14 weeks. I've read about preeclampsia, and all the fun that goes along with it. At this point I know that it's not that, it's too early. Could just be some minor hypertension brought on by anything. Could have been just a fluke. Could have been anxiety about the appointment (I was a little worried about seeing if the baby and the heartbeat were still there... it was). Could have been the quantity of salt I've been eating, or my lack of water drinking. So I'm praying that all will be well next week. Please pray that it is.

14 Weeks 3 Days

No comments: